Simple guidlines for safe packing:
- Keep boxes or cartons to a reasonable weight, if possible under 50 pounds so that one person can carry them.
- Package fragile items carefully and only store fragile items (e.g. glass and crockery) in boxes, not in furniture,
- as it is sometimes necessary to turn furniture sideways when carrying it or for transportation in the van.
- Provide plenty of padding to absorb shock.
- Use boxes that are strong and do not bulge out or in. Ensure boxes are fastened shut.
- As far as possible fill boxes as it helps strengthen them and optimises storage space, used scrunched up newspaper, other paper or towels to fill boxes if necessary.
- Do not mix fragile and non-fragile items. Pack fragile items together and label the box fragile.